1. BMI upper limit is 28. Please calculate your BMI here. Your BMI will be checked at the base camp again.
2. Age criteria. Those above 50 have to show proof of current fitness before registration (In case of any queries, call us on 8039511400.
3. Lower age limit is 8 years.
4. Fitness requirement:
A trek requires considerable preparation. We expect trekkers to prepare well for a trek.
Expected preparation guidelines:
For those below 45: Should be able to jog a distance of 5 km in 35 mins, 4 times a week.
For those above 45: Brisk walk at the speed of 9 minutes per kilometer.
Must be able to cover 3 km in 27 mins.
If you need help with preparation please talk to us before registering. Call us on 8979108941.
About The Trek Fee
- Accommodation – Stay is included from Day 1 to Day 7 (Sankri to Sankri). You will be staying at a lodge in Sankri and camping on remaining days of the trek (3 per tent).
- Meals – All meals from dinner at Sankri on Day 1 to breakfast at Sankri on Day 8 are included. We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the trek.
- Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Trekking equipment – You will stay in high quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Our high altitude sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC. We provide ice axes, ropes, micro spikes, gaiters etc. as required.
- Safety equipment – First aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretchers etc. will be available at all campsites to deal with emergencies.
- Transport to and from the base camp – We will arrange shared taxis for trekkers to pick you up from Dehradun and drop you back from Sankri. This will cost approx. Rs. 5,500 per 5-6 seater vehicle one way. You will have to share this cost with the other trekkers
- Food during transit to and from the base camp – The trek fee does not include meals purchased during the journey to Sankri and back.
- Backpack offloading charges – If you wish to offload your backpack, there will be an additional charge of Rs. 1,500 + 5% GST. The backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kgs. Suitcases/strolleys/duffel bags will not be allowed. Please note that charges will vary for last minute offloading in case you decide to offload your bag after reaching Sankri (Rs.350 per day inclusive of taxes).
- Stay at Dehradun on the last day
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from inclusions
Trekkers are picked up from Dehradun railway station at 6:30 am. Usually, trekkers are clubbed together with other participants to make a group. The group travels together to Sankri in shared cabs. Transport from Dehradun to Sankri and return from Sankri to Dehradun costs Rs.5,500 one way (in a Bolero/Max) or Rs.8,500 per Tempo Traveller one way. A Bolero/Max sits 5-6 participants. A Tempo Traveller accommodates 12. Participants are expected to share the cost of the cab. The cost is shared this way: Total no of vehicles divided by total no of participants.
No service tax is applicable on transport cost. Discoveryhike only arranges the vehicle pick up and is not responsible for any issues during transport. You can choose to come independently to the base camp
Discoveryhike expects trekkers to carry their own backpacks — which contains clothes, warm gears, toilet kits etc. Camping gears like tents/sleeping bags is carried by Discoveryhike support team. If for some reason you do not want to carry your backpack, you can offload the same by paying an additional charge.
Backpack offloading charge for the entire trek duration is Rs 1,575/- (inclusive of GST at 5%). Partial offloading is not allowed. Charges vary for offloading on arrival at the base camp. Also, offloading on arrival may be refused if sufficient man/animal power is not available. Your offloaded backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kgs. No suitcases/strolleys/duffel bags are allowed for offloading.
In a trek a medical emergency or any other emergency may arise. If for any reason you are sent down from the trek then Discoveryhike will make arrangements for your return to the base camp or nearest road head. A staff will accompany you. He may not be a trained personnel.
Evacuation or dealing with emergencies is extremely difficult in the mountains. It is time consuming as well. A normal trek of 2 hours may take 6 hours in an emergency (a sick person is not easy to evacuate). Doctors do not go along with a team. Doctors are not available at the base camp or nearest road head either. Discoveryhike trek leaders are trained to administer first aid and know how to deal with issues related to the mountains. However, they are not doctors.
Registering for this trek is an understanding that you have read up on the difficulties of high altitude trekking and understand the risks. You have also understood what AMS, HAPE and HACE are. You have taken efforts to educate yourself and you are in a position to manage your own altitude related emergency.
A high altitude trek in the Himalayas requires considerable fitness. Your body needs to train itself to process more work with lower levels of oxygen. Cardiovascular training before a trek is critically important. Training must include strength and flexibility workout. We have laid out the eligibility criteria here. Registering for the trek is an understanding that you will undertake the mandated fitness training. Discoveryhike has the right to reject candidates who do not meet our eligibility requirement at the base camp.
Discoveryhike is not responsible for any loss/damage of your gears/equipment or other belongings on the trek.
It is strictly prohibited. If you flout this rule your participation on the trek will be cancelled forthright.
Payment for the trek can be done online through credit/debit card or net banking. Cheque/draft or cash are not accepted.
If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rains, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc), Discoveryhike will issue a trek voucher for the full amount. The voucher can be redeemed for the same trek or another trek in the next one year.
In case, you wish to cancel your trek, please login to your account and cancel. Cancellation requests will not be taken over phone or email.
The cancellation charges are as under.
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the trek — full refund.
- Cancellation between 30 days and 20 days to the start of the trek — 50% refund.
- Cancellation less than 20 days to the start of the trek — no refund.
Please note: In case of refund, there will be a deduction of 4% (bank charges) from the total fee you have paid. Also, if you have opted for a trek insurance, the amount will not be refunded.
While our itineraries are designed to allow for adequate acclimatisation, most treks in Indian Himalayas climb quickly, which is called forced accents. Unavailability of camp sites and the Indian Himalayan terrain are the reason for this. There are chances that you will feel the effects of altitude sickness and oxygen deprivation while on this trek. Please be aware that your trek leader may deem it unsafe for you to continue trekking at any time, and arrange for you to descend to a lower attitude.
b. Our trek leaders will conduct routine health checks at all camps to measure oxygen saturation, pulse and blood pressure. Discoveryhike reserves the right to exclude any trekker from climbing higher on the trek without refund if the trekker’s vital readings are below accepted norms for that altitude. These norms are available with Discoveryhiketrek leaders.
c. This is a high altitude trek with rough, rocky and snowy terrain. It is important that you are a fit and confident walker in mountain terrain, able to manage ascents and descents by yourself within a reasonable time. Discoveryhike reserves the right to turn around a trekker if in the opinion of our trek leader they are unable to complete the itinerary without requiring exclusive assistance. Please realistically self-assess your fitness and suitability for this trek before registering.
It is mandatory for trekkers to carry a copy of their photo id for entry at forest check posts on the trek. Since Sankri will have limited facilities to photo copy, do not leave this till the end.
Discoveryhike is the largest and most widely recommended trekking community in India.
More trekkers trek with Discoveryhike than with any other organisation. 10,000 plus in 2016.
Discoveryhike safety standards are the highest in India.
Equipment like tents and sleeping bags are expedition standard, imported and custom made for Discoveryhike.
Trek leaders are a reason to trek with Discoveryhike -- knowledgeable and prepared.